Surgery Rotation Reflection

My surgery rotation was at St. Francis Hospital. Overall, this was my toughest but most rewarding and educational rotation, with shifts ranging from 12-15 hours everyday. The majority of my days was spent in the OR, first assisting general surgeons in colon resections, laparoscopic cholecystectomies, open and laparoscopic hernia repairs. There were no residents at this site, so I did not have to compete for surgeries or cases. Almost every surgeon and PA I scrubbed in a case with was passionate about teaching me different anatomical structures and suturing techniques. During my last couple weeks, I was even able to close surgical sites on my own with supervision.

In addition to seeing general surgery cases, I was also able to first assist in urological, plastics and neurosurgery cases. I even had the opportunity to assist in a mitral valve repair and CABG, which was great to see being in one of the best heart hospitals!

When I was not in the OR, I rounded on patients on the floor and the surgical ICU. I learned how to manage patients post-op, including foley, drains, and NG tubes.

My preceptor and all the other PAs in the department were extremely helpful and wanted me to gain great experience that I would be able to carry with me into my career. I highly recommend this surgical site, and hope York will continue the affiliation with St. Francis.