Biomedical Ethics Final Reflection

The following principles, beneficence, autonomy, and dignity are discussed in this essay to support ethical decision-making processes in clinical practice.
It has always been an earnest desire of mine to work in a health related career. During my senior year of high school, I sought out employment in a dermatologist’s office where I filed patient’s charts and took messages for the doctors, physician assistant, and nurses. There I met an experienced physician assistant who was well respected and trusted by her patients and physicians. I admired how everyone in the office spoke so highly of her and it sparked an interest in learning more about her position as a physician assistant. Throughout my undergraduate career, I attended multiple seminars about different healthcare careers, each time fixated on the medical side. It is the flexibility of a physician assistant and their wide range of responsibilities that fascinated me most. Their ability to switch into other medical specialties appeals to me and fits my personality best since I am always looking to learn more.
As a physician assistant in clinical practice, I believe that having open communication with patients and ensuring patient-centered care are important. Patients are apart of the healthcare team, and in addition to treating them clinically, they should also be treated from a mental, spiritual, social and emotional perspective. Patient care and satisfaction will ultimately be improved if care is also focused on emotional well-being. In addition, keeping open communication with patients and their families encourages collaboration and shared-decision making when creating a care plan. This includes their preferences, cultural traditions, and values that physician assistants must keep in mind when treating all patients.
One ethical principle that plays a strong role in ethical decision-making in clinical practice is beneficence. This is an idea that requires one to act in a way that does good for others (Yeo,103). As a physician assistant, it will be necessary that the team I am apart of reduce or prevent injury, and beneficence states all interventions given be beneficial. Beneficence is also closely linked with caring, and as a physician assistant, I will be using my medical skills and abilities to ensure a beneficial outcome by being genuinely concerned for my patients’ well-being (Yeo, 109). This is important in clinical practice because there will be instances where I must put my personal beliefs aside in order to do what my patient requests, for example, performing an abortion that is within the safe time frame. Although this is something I am against, I must think about beneficence and how that may do good for them.
Another ethical principle important in making decisions in clinical practice is autonomy. Autonomy states that an individual has the right to make independent decisions about their life and well-being (Yeo, 91). There are four components that make up autonomy that are important to think about while in clinical practice. They include free action, effective deliberation, authenticity, and moral reflection. Patients have the ability to voluntarily receive or refuse beneficial treatment that are consistent with their preferences. This aligns with “free action” and is a major component of autonomy. As a physician assistant, it is important to allow patients to communicate openly about their care, including how they are feeling emotionally. Communicating with patients by asking them open-ended questions regarding their care will give them autonomy and the freedom to make decisions for themselves. It is important to recognize a patient that lacks the ability to make rational decisions. If this is the case, a surrogate or health care proxy will be needed to help make decisions on their behalf.
A third principle that will play a role in ethical decision-making in clinical practice is dignity. Dignity means to respect the patient’s values, recognize their worth, and have the patient recognize their own worth (RCN, 9). In clinical practice, dignity is important in patient-centered care because they will feel devalued and lack control and comfort without it (RCN, 8). As a physician assistant, to ensure dignity is being preserved we must always refer to the patient by name and ensure they remain comfortable. Without dignity, patients may lack confidence and be unable to make their own decisions.
In conclusion, the principles of beneficence, autonomy, and dignity are important to think about while making ethical decisions in clinical practice.

Sources
Yeo, Moorhouse, Dalziel. (2010). Beneficence. Concepts and Cases in Nursing Ethics. [3rd edition] Ontario: Broadview Press, pg 103-109.

Yeo, Moorhouse, Dalziel. (2010). Autonomy. Concepts and Cases in Nursing Ethics. [3rd edition] Ontario: Broadview Press, pg 91.

Royal College of Nursing. (2008). Defending Dignity-Challenges and Opportunities for Nursing. Pg 8-9.