Rotation Reflection EM

My rotation site was at New York Presbyterian Queens. Overall, I found this rotation to be a great learning experience. I was able to see many medical conditions, ranging from minor to very serious conditions. This hospital is a level 1 trauma center, so I was able to assist my team in many situations, such as major car accidents and stab wounds.

The emergency department is split up into 5 different teams, ranging from urgent care to red team (trauma). Every shift, I was placed on a different team and was able to work with many residents, attendings and PAs. With their supervision, the team trusted me to see my own patients and develop a plan for them, which I believe made me more confident in my clinical abilities. I was able to perform many procedures, including splinting, placing IVs, venipuncture, NG tubes, suturing, and draining abscesses.

The attendings, residents, and PAs all gave good constructive feedback on my presentations and how I can improve on developing a treatment plan. I appreciated their feedback and felt I improved with each week.

From my last rotation, I believe I improved on taking the initiative when caring for patients. This came from practice and learning from minor mistakes. As I continue my clinical rotations, I hope to keep learning as much as I did here and to continue taking the initiative.